Monday, October 25, 2010



I first heard Eva Cassidy's angelic voice in 1996, the year she died. At the age of 33, cancer took her away. Her voice was little known outside of the DC area, where she sang in jazz and blues clubs. But now her gifts are reaching the world. I don't know how old she is in this heart-breaking rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, but by her look, it appears she already has the cancer.

This song takes on a whole new weight of sorrow, fragile beauty, and glory should that be the case. I hope you are ready for this! And for a search for more of Eva's music! She is a gift, and her voice still echoes in the world!

2 comments:

Mike in CT said...

I first heard her after her death when her take on "Fields of Gold" was Yamaguchi's performance piece in the Winter Olympics. A song I had usually ignored in Sting's voice, her singing on that song continues to be haunting.

The Heart of Things said...

I think that was the first of her music I ever heard. It is haunting! "I know you by heart" is another gem.

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...